Immigration Direct

Form Services - Simplifying Immigration®

Immigration Direct Forum | immigrationdirect.com

Immigration Direct is not involved in the conversations between users of this forum and does not edit, modify, monitor, endorse or guarantee the content of forum posts. See Terms of Use.

I-864 Support Affidavit

Posted 5/1/2012 7:34:48 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 5/1/2012 7:57:39 AM
Just to make sure, any person who is sponsoring another person to get into the USA needs to file this I-864 Affidavit of Support along with the petition, is that correct?
Post #7955
 Posted 5/1/2012 1:20:43 PM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 10/18/2012 12:39:26 PM
That is what I have read about the process. The person must be able to show that he or she can pay any costs needed for the sponsored person to live in the United States.
Post #7968
 Posted 5/3/2012 10:09:54 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 11/23/2014 12:42:44 PM
Yes, that is the meaning of "sponsoring," to my understanding. You can petition for a family member without it, I think, but they will probably need to show that they have support (either personal or through a relative in the US). 
Post #7994
 Posted 5/5/2012 3:42:29 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 8/22/2012 4:25:10 PM
Often, applicants get confused with the Form I-864 and Form I-134. The I-134 (affidavit of support) is not a legally binding affidavit, it is used for non-immigrant visas. Until you marry (and subsequently file for Adjustment of status), the non US Citizen fiancé(e) will hold a non immigrant visa. This allows them to get into the US before having a legal relationship with the US Citizen fiancé(e).

Whereas the I-864 (Affidavit of Support) is a legally binding contract proving that the sponsor will be financially responsible for the immigrant in the event the immigrant attempts to benefit from certain federal aid programs. This form is filed at the Adjustment of Status part of the journey (after the Non US Citizen has traveled to the States and got married).

Tags:
Post #8023
 Posted 5/5/2012 4:46:56 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 5/10/2012 5:46:20 AM
I am glad you posted this, anderson24, because I did not know that there was more than one support form. It will be helpful for others to see this also, I am certain.
Post #8025