Immigration Direct

Form Services - Simplifying Immigration®

Immigration Direct Forum | immigrationdirect.com

Immigration Direct is not involved in the conversations between users of this forum and does not edit, modify, monitor, endorse or guarantee the content of forum posts. See Terms of Use.

Marrying an illegal immigrant

Posted 4/8/2012 5:04:39 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/10/2012 5:35:10 AM
So my boyfriend is from Peru and he has a tourist visa which allowed him to go back and forth for ten years, but since he stayed here for longer than 6 months straight, the visa is no longer valid. He still has his stamped passport and documents but he has no green card or any type of citizenship or residency thing. We are both currently college students, he goes to school 6 hours away from me and we only see each other twice a month and then all of summers. We are getting married purely for love, but will the immigration office think it is weird or question us since we wont be able to live together for about 2-3 more years? And so how do we go about the process of getting married, will he be able to marry me then apply for a green card, and just basically how can we go about the whole process of getting married and what follows??
Post #7730
 Posted 4/8/2012 5:15:10 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 12/15/2014 10:27:18 PM
What is his current status, then? If he is here illegally, he will need to go back to Peru, at least temporarily. Your best bet would be to get him back in with a K-1 (fiance) visa, and marry him within 90 days.
Post #7731
 Posted 4/9/2012 8:50:04 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 4/10/2012 5:35:10 AM
But I checked the county clerk in my area and it says that we can get a marriage license but is says "satisfactory evidence to be the person(s) whose name(s) is/are subscribed to the within instrument" - what counts as satisfactory evidence?

And yes he is technically illegal now, so with a K1, would I get that after or before marrying him, and how would that work?
Post #7742
 Posted 4/9/2012 10:59:29 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 11/18/2012 11:57:54 AM
The K-1 is for your fiance to enter the US. You would apply for that before you marry, while he is in Peru. If you marry while he is in the US illegally, you may not be able to get him legal status without him being deported for a time. You maybe want to talk to an immigration lawyer.
Post #7743