Immigration Direct

Form Services - Simplifying Immigration®

Immigration Direct Forum | immigrationdirect.com

Immigration Direct is not involved in the conversations between users of this forum and does not edit, modify, monitor, endorse or guarantee the content of forum posts. See Terms of Use.

Do I travel while Green Card renewal?

Posted 4/7/2012 7:49:01 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 4/30/2012 5:06:36 AM
I'm wondering if someone could advise me on my situation:

My Green Card will expire April 2012.
I am applying renew right now. start to apply from 3rd of April 2012.

Do I get temporary green card while processing because I am going to travel by Jun 2012?
Do I still work at United State even past April?

If anyone answer my question, I am very appreciate.

Thanks
Post #7726
 Posted 4/8/2012 5:21:03 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 1 hour ago
You really should have started the renewal process 6-8 weeks ago, but it's too late now. You may need to apply for travel papers in order to return. You may need to make an InfoPass appointment to discuss your situation.
Post #7734
 Posted 4/9/2012 6:48:07 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Thank you very much for your advise.  I was told, as long as you have a confirmation receipt with your old Green Card, that will be works but I am going to have an InfoPass appointment and find out.

Edited: 4/9/2012 6:54:56 AM by shin
Post #7741
 Posted 4/9/2012 11:01:36 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 11/18/2012 11:57:54 AM
If you have a receipt, it probably would work because it shows them that your renewal is in the process. Still, InfoPass is free, so it makes sense to make an appointment to be sure.
Post #7744
 Posted 4/24/2012 1:26:52 AM
Forum Newbie

Two days ago, I went to USCIS in Los Angeles, They gave me temporary GC (I-551, stamped on my passport) for 6-month but When I got back home, I got received letter of Biometrics Appointment on 5/1/12!!:)

They told me that I could come back with confirmation of receipt, passport with I-551 stamped, and expired GC.

My case, I applied on 3/28/12  and have an appointment for Biometrics on 5/1/12.

While the processing, I am able to have I-551 and could travel out of USA.

Thanks

Tags:
Post #7876
 Posted 5/5/2012 2:48:32 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 5/5/2012 2:59:11 PM
EXPIRED GREEN CARD DOES NOT MAKES YOU ILLEGAL NOR WILL PREVENT YOU FROM COMING BACK FROM A TRAVEL ABROAD? If you file a renewal prior to your travel, it will be sufficient to enter using your expired green card. You need to provide several documents of identity and answer question at the port of entry? Your entry would be difficult because you need to satisfy the immigration officer why your green card has expired? 

I you stayed outside the US for a long time (more than 6 months) coming back with an expired green card, is a major problem? You maybe subjected for cancellation of green card, remember to renew green card prior to departure from the US.

Expired Passport is not the same as expired green card?
You cannot travel out and back using an expired passport.

Expired Green Card, you can travel out of the country with a valid passport.
But, your entry would be difficult but it does not mean you will be deported?
You need to show proof that you did applied for a renewal prior to travel out.
Post #8042
 Posted 5/5/2012 2:54:10 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 5/5/2012 2:59:11 PM
No such thing as temporary green card if you have been issued a permanent residence card.
If you need to travel on an emergency case, bring with you copies of your complete renewal application, and proof of an emergency reason for travel? You have to satisfy the officer at the port of entry, why your green card has expired? Remember expired green card does not lose your legal status, it will ONLY make your entry DIFFICULT!
Post #8043
 Posted 5/6/2012 3:56:13 AM
Supreme Being

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 1 hour ago
It is true that once you are granted Legal Permanent Residency, you are legal as long as you maintain it. The card is there to prove to others that you have legal status. Renewal is required, but does not necessarily change your actual status immediately.
Post #8050
MP
 Posted 7/21/2012 2:22:24 AM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 8/22/2012 1:40:09 AM
Hi

Can I travel outside when my green card is in renew process ?

I already submited my all required documents for renewal. My tentative planing to travel outside USA in next year.

So Can I travel outside when Green Card is in renew process and what kind of doucment I need when I will come back into USA?

Please advice for this..

Thank you..
Post #8800
 Posted 7/23/2012 9:28:03 AM
Supreme Being

Last Login: Yesterday @ 11:04:03 AM
Yes, you can travel while it is pending, but you will need to have proof that your renewal is in process and you will need your old green card, as well as identification with your picture on it, I think. 
Post #8811