ImmigrationDirect Forum

Immigration Direct is not involved in the conversations between users of this forum and does not edit, modify, monitor, endorse or guarantee the content of forum posts. See Terms of Use.

renewing my old expired green card.

Posted 1/27/2012 7:01:13 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 2/16/2012 3:52:56 PM
now that I can't drive or get a California ID because they want my valid green card. It's about 5 years old expired but im legal here in the U.S.. I've been in U.S. for about 16 years and my green card expired because my family slipped it and didn't renew it so I'm stuck on my own renewing it and it cost about $400? I've had 5 jobs even with my expired green card. 

What should I do now? & how long will it take to renew because I need to go to another country for vacation. 
Post #7020
 Posted 1/28/2012 3:23:17 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 11/18/2012 11:57:54 AM
You will need to immediately apply for renewal because you should have renewed it right away. You're supposed to send in the renewal form within 90 days before it expires. I don't know how long it takes but they will send you something when you send in the renewal information, and you can apply for travel papers that will let you back in.
Post #7028
 Posted 1/28/2012 9:28:03 AM
Forum Newbie

Forum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum NewbieForum Newbie

Last Login: 1/29/2012 3:04:36 AM
frythatlumpia (1/27/2012)
now that I can't drive or get a California ID because they want my valid green card. It's about 5 years old expired but im legal here in the U.S.. I've been in U.S. for about 16 years and my green card expired because my family slipped it and didn't renew it so I'm stuck on my own renewing it and it cost about $400? I've had 5 jobs even with my expired green card. 

What should I do now? & how long will it take to renew because I need to go to another country for vacation. 
Go to the uscis web site and their is a link their to renew your card 
Post #7038
 Posted 2/3/2012 12:05:52 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Last Login: 4/25/2012 9:49:45 PM
In order to get your Green Card renewed, you need to complete the form I-90. It is important that you file this immediately because you may use it in the future - to prove your legal status, for employment purposes, and in your case, for traveling abroad (you may need that in US re-entry).

Tags:
Post #7096
 Posted 2/4/2012 1:41:52 AM
Supreme Being

Last Login: 8/22/2012 4:25:10 PM
Processing green card renewal varies it can range from 6 to 12 months. So its not advisable to travel until you get your Green Card, it will be difficult to re-enter with expired Green Card.

Tags:
Post #7118
 Posted 2/16/2012 3:55:23 PM
Forum Newbie

Last Login: 2/16/2012 3:52:56 PM
I plan to renew my green card online on the uscis site. will i get a receipt number and take it to the nearest uscis office to get a temporary stamp on my passport so i can travel outside of US? 
Post #7240
 Posted 2/17/2012 5:40:51 AM
Supreme Being

Last Login: 8/22/2012 4:25:10 PM
If one must travel during the process of green card replacement either for employment or personal reasons, it is advisable to get their passport stamped with I-551 at the local USCIS office to indicate that the applicant has filed for a new card.

The stamp in the passport is the proof of lawful permanent resident status of the passport bearer. It will enable a person to travel out of the U.S. and re-enter as the stamped passport indicates, the person has filed for green card replacement as required by law.
Post #7252