Immigration Direct

Form Services - Simplifying Immigration®

Immigration Direct Forum | immigrationdirect.com

Immigration Direct is not involved in the conversations between users of this forum and does not edit, modify, monitor, endorse or guarantee the content of forum posts. See Terms of Use.

Drivers License on F1 Visa

Posted 8/14/2011 10:54:04 PM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Group: Forum Members
Last Login: 9/3/2011 7:01:30 AM
I drive in my home country and would like to know if I will be allowed to drive in the USA when I arrive on my student visa. I ask because I'll need to arrange a car if it is possible.
Post #4198
 Posted 8/14/2011 11:59:59 PM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

Group: Administrators
Last Login: 9 hours ago
As far as I am aware you need to have an SSN in order to get a driving license. However some people have been able to get a letter from the SSN office stating that they aren't eligible for an SSN, but have an F1 visa so are legally able to drive here. The main requirements are a photo ID that is government issued and proof that you are legally in the country.
Post #4214
 Posted 8/15/2011 12:19:47 AM

Junior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior MemberJunior Member

Last Login: 8/26/2011 6:24:35 AM
I thought that tourists who are just visiting can drive-can't they? You can hire a car and drive just on your own foreign license so why can't you drive on that as an F1 visa holder?
Post #4222
 Posted 8/15/2011 12:32:52 AM
Supreme Being

Supreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme BeingSupreme Being

There is an international drivers permit that allows people to drive in the country, but I'm not sure how you would get one or how valid it is. Can I suggest that you contact your school and see what they say about local requirements?
Post #4228
 Posted 8/16/2011 3:36:15 PM
Supreme Being

Last Login: 8/22/2012 4:25:10 PM
You have to get a written test and then you take the road test. Depending on state, you go  a DMV office (Department of Motor vehicles) or DPS office (Department of Public Safety).
  • Your identity – Name, date of birth
  • Your current legal status in America – F1 visa
  • Your residency status in a state – Proof that you live in that state
Plus mentioned documents is necessary.

Passport along with valid US Visa Stamping in it
    I-94 card (white card given at port of entry)
    Social Security Number (SSN) Card ( Not applicable for F1 students without a Job)
    Utility Bill (You can get electricity bill or phone bill on your name).
    Rental Lease papers (If you have name on it)
    Bank account Statements of US Banks (mailed to your home for address)

Tags:
Post #4241
 Posted 8/16/2011 11:59:31 PM
Supreme Being

Thanks Anderson. In the meantime, the USA has a reciprocal agreement with MOST countries that allows you to drive on your home (full, photographic) driving license for up to a year. You'll need to get a US license as soon as possible since you will be here longer than that, but you at least can make arrangements to be mobile whilst waiting for your first bank statement. 
Post #4250
 Posted 8/17/2011 11:08:24 PM

Last Login: 9/3/2011 7:01:30 AM
This is good news. It's good to know that I will be able to be mobile again. Presumably I can buy a car without a state issued license, since there are kids who buy cars as projects?
Post #4269